Thorpe Farm Bunk Houses lie on the edge of the popular village of Hathersage. Hathersage has a good range of shops and facilities including the following
- pubs and cafés
- general stores
- post office
- three outdoor equipment stores
- railway station
- petrol station
- an open-air, heated swimming pool (now open all year round)
- tennis courts / hard play areas
Also, just a short distance away is Stanage Edge, the world-famous climbing edge which also boasts some beautiful walks and mountain bike rides. In fact, whichever direction you go from Thorpe Farm Bunkhouses, you’ll find great walks, rides and climbs! Need help finding them? Below is a list of local Outdoor activity providers:
Pure Outdoor – Guy and his team have everything to suit your groups outdoor needs!
Acclimbatize – Matlock based they provide group activities and Leader / Instructor courses.
Just up the road in Castleton, there are four show caves, Sheffield is only 10 miles away, with all its excellent leisure and sports facilities including
- Olympic standard swimming pools,
- leisure pools,
- ice skating,
- ten-pin bowling
- numerous cinemas
Public footpaths pass the doors of the bunkhouses, and there is good walking on the moors and valleys. We recommend the Ordnance Survey Explorer maps OL1 (covering Hathersage and northwards) and OL24 (south of Hathersage) – see Mapping + GIS.
For information about Open Access to the countryside, check Natural England
Before setting out, please check our pages on weather, country codes and hill safety.
Stuck for a walk? The following nearby suggestions are direct links to Lou Johnson’s excellent ‘Walking Britain‘ web site:
Map of the Peak District, showing the locations of the walks.
Walk 1087: Mam Tor & Cavedale from Castleton.
Walk 1090: Stanage Edge from Dennis Knoll near Bamford.
Walk 1100: Abney Moor & Bretton Clough from Hucklow Edge.
Walk 1159: Grindsbrook & Edale Head from Edale.
Walk 1169: Baslow Edge and Wellington’s Monument.
Walk 1240: Curbar, Froggatt and White Edges from Curbar Gap.
Walk 2515: River Derwent, Curbar, Baslow and Froggatt Edges.
Walk 2520: Higger Tor and the Longshaw Estate.
Walk 2522: Rushup Edge and Edale from Mam Nick.
Walk 2548: Stanage Edge & Little John’s Grave from Hathersage (this one passes Pondside – “Nether Hurst” in the walk description).
Walk 2599: Edale Circuit from Hope
Walk 1286: Lose Hill, Mam Tor and Castleton from Hope – just up the valley from Thorpe Farm.
Stanage Edge and Millstone Edge are both popular climbing areas within easy reach of Thorpe Farm.
We recommend the Ordnance Survey Explorer maps OL1 (covering Hathersage and northwards) and OL24 (south of Hathersage) – see Mapping + GIS.
The railway can bring you and your bike into the Hope Valley, with nearest stations at Hathersage and Bamford
Bike Garage – From difficult downhill trails to leisurely rides around the dams.
- Hathersage Swimming Pool 01433 650843
- Bakewell Swimming Pool 01629 814205 All year indoor
- Gliding Club, Great Hucklow 01298 871270
- Go Karting, Buxton 01298 71037
- Paint Balling / Mud Buggies, Strines 0114 2852477
- Bank House (Bar & Restaurant) 01433 449060 – Hathersage
- The George Inn
- The Little John (Pub) 01433 650225 – Hathersage
- The Scotsman’s Pack(Pub) 01433 650253 – Hathersage
- The Millstone Inn (Pub) 01433 650258 – Hathersage
- The Plough Inn (Pub) 01433 650319 – Hathersage
- Coleman’s Deli
- Cintra’s Tea Room
- Outside Café
- Maazi Indian
- Sangams (Indian) 01433 650665 – Hathersage. Eat in or takeaway
- Pool Café (Cafe) 01433 651159 – Hathersage
- Hathersage Fish & Chips
- Hope Valley Pizzas 01433 623203 Free delivery to all bunkhouses
- Bradwell Chip Shop 01433 620379 – Bradwell Please ‘phone large orders through in advance!
- Travellers Rest (Pub) 01433 620363 – Bradwell
- Anglers Rest & Rest Cafe (Pub & café) 01433 659137 – Bamford